Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Family sues Staples Center over toddler's fatal fall after Lakers game

Attorneys say the barrier on a luxury skybox was inadequate to prevent the 2-year-old from falling nearly 30 feet.

May 25, 2011|By Andrew Blankstein, Los Angeles Times

The family of a toddler who died after plunging at least 30 feet from a luxury box at Staples Center has filed suit against the owners of the venue, alleging that a poorly designed barrier led to the death.

The suit, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, names Staples Center owner Anschutz Entertainment Group and the operator of the arena, L.A. Arena Co., as defendants in connection with the death of Lucas Tang, 2, who fell from the box after a Lakers game last year.

Lawyers for the family allege that the barrier in front of the boxes was only 2 feet high and that the owners provided "no warnings of the dangerous condition, either by signs, oral statements by employees, or otherwise."

The plaintiffs allege that the dangerous condition was allowed to persist because the arena would make more money if fans had an unobstructed view of the game, attorneys Scott Wellman and Stuart Miller said in a statement.

Michael Roth, vice president of communications for AEG, said the firm had no immediate comment because a copy of the lawsuit hadn't been received.

Moments before the fall, the Tang family was taking pictures in front of the Plexiglas barrier. But as the family was reviewing pictures on a digital camera, Lucas made his way over the barrier and fell nearly 30 feet. He died the next morning at a hospital.

andrew.blankstein@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|