Brock Lesnar, who has been suffering from the intestinal ailment diverticulitis,… (Eric Jamison / Associated…)
Heavyweight Brock Lesnar will return to the UFC octagon in a five-round main event Dec. 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, facing newly signed former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.
"Brock is a big name, a dangerous guy, and this is a dream matchup," Overeem said Tuesday.
"I want to see this fight myself. Overall, I'm a different fighter. A striker, athletic, big. These are going to be two big trucks going at it on a collision course."
The 6-foot-5, 260-pound Overeem, 31, is a former K-1 kickboxing champion. He most recently defended his Strikeforce belt in June with a unanimous decision over takedown specialist Fabrio Werdum, who had previously defeated Fedor Emelianenko.
Lesnar, 34, has been out of action since losing his UFC heavyweight belt to Cain Velasquez in October at the Honda Center. Lesnar has been suffering from the intestinal ailment diverticulitis.
The Dec. 30 winner will be first in line to fight the winner of a Nov. 12 fight between Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos.
UFC Chairman Lorenzo Fertitta said the Strikeforce belt won't be part of the Lesnar-Overeem promotion. The UFC bought Strikeforce in March and took over its stable of fighters.
"Our thinking when we bought Strikeforce was to give fans the fights they want," Fertitta said. "Obviously, Alistair's one of the best heavyweights in the world, but he also has that 'it' factor — the tremendous look. He's huge. It's a star factor."