Folsom quarterback Dano Graves drags a bunch of Gardena Serra players into… (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles…)
Despite objections from schools in the Southern Section, the CIF Federated Council approved a proposal last school year to add a 16th game to the high school football season in 2012 while creating regional games that would require the season to begin a week earlier in late August.
Before the new format even begins, the Southwestern League has submitted a proposal as a non-action item to be discussed at next month's Southern Section Council meeting that would return the season to a maximum 15 games and allow all 10 sections in the state to participate in postseason bowl games in 2013.
The proposal has the support of the Southern Section football advisory committee. If it is approved at the Feb. 2 Southern Section Council meeting, it would be sent to the CIF Federated Council for consideration.
In December, there will be five bowl games matching teams from Southern California against teams from Northern California at the Home Depot Center in Carson. Beginning in 2012, the season will start with zero-week games Aug. 24. Section championships must be completed by Dec. 1, followed by regional bowl games Dec. 7-8 and five state bowl games Dec. 14-15.
Among the highlights of the new proposal: It would allow one week for bowl games in 2013. It would pit section against section, using a blind draw. Thirty teams from 10 sections would participate in state bowl games as opposed to the current 10. There's also a proposal to have the section commissioners meet to select six teams from any of the sections to compete in state open-division bowl games to be held on the same weekend as the other bowl games. Revenue sharing would be implemented.
Westlake Coach Jim Benkert, a member of the football advisory committee, said, "It's a great proposal. There's a lot more games, and you don't have to move the season forward for a few elite teams."
Quarterback leaves Oaks Christian
After starting the first two games for Westlake Village Oaks Christian, then losing his starting position last week against Ventura St. Bonaventure, junior quarterback Luke Falk left school Monday and will return to Logan, Utah, Coach Bill Redell said.
"It looks like a football issue because he wasn't starting, but it's a personal issue with the family," Redell said.
Falk, who trained under private quarterback tutor Steve Clarkson, moved to the area with his family last spring. He was the starter all summer for the Lions, but struggled in an opening loss to Bellevue when he had three passes intercepted. Sophomore Brandon Dawkins played extensively in Oaks Christian's Marmonte League opener against Agoura and became the starter last week against St. Bonaventure.
Regardless of whether Falk left for family reasons or football reasons, the history of Oaks Christian's quarterback position is pretty clear. Quarterbacks who get beaten out for the starting position end up transferring.
The starting quarterback at Encino Crespi, Cody Cordell, was a backup to Falk and Dawkins until he left Oaks Christian in late June. Nick Isham, the starting quarterback as a freshman at Louisiana Tech, became a standout at Westlake after he briefly attended Oaks Christian but lost out on the starting job to Nick Montana. Another Oaks Christian backup, Jake Geringer, is at Sacramento State after starring at Newbury Park.
Another of Clarkson's pupils who moved to Southern California, Jared Lebowitz, is slowly making the transition at La Cañada St. Francis. The Golden Knights are 3-0, and Lebowitz, a junior who came from Vermont, has passed for 518 yards and six touchdowns. They face West Ranch (4-0) on Friday.
"The game is a little faster, the hitting is a lot harder," Coach Jim Bonds said. "He's feeling his way through it. The good thing is we've been able to win while he gets his feet wet."