Employees hand out free reusable grocery bags at a Whole Foods Market natural… (David McNew / Getty Images )
After turning dates like Mother's Day into consumer bonanzas and elevating Black Friday into a bona fide holiday, retailers have recently embraced Earth Day as yet another reason to shop.
But Earth Day, founded by in 1970 by Gaylord Nelson, a former Wisconsin governor and senator, has a save-the-planet ethos that doesn't jibe well with the shop-till-you drop ads marking traditional holidays like Christmas.
So some retailers are giving away eco-friendly items instead. Below is a list of some April 22 freebies and deals culled by dealnews.com:
1. Target Corp. is giving away one reusable shopping bag per customer April 22, available at the guest services desk at each store.
2. Beauty brand Origins will give away one full-size sample of a cleanser in exchange for a bottle of your current skincare product. All bottles and packaging will be recycled.
3. Barnes & Noble will offer a 20% discount on Earth-friendly toys and games from its online store.
4. Chipotle Mexican Grill will give away a free burrito on Earth Day to customers who purchase a lunch bag before April 14 from the restaurant chain. The bags are made from recycled Chipotle billboards.
5. And finally, once you're done eating burritos and snapping up face wash, you can go commune with nature -- for free. The National Park Service is offering free admission to all 397 national parks April 21-29.
Surge of holiday retail goods is starting at U.S. ports
Sears and Kmart roll out virtual shopping walls for toys
Online shopping tips for protecting personal information