YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

3 killed, 3 hurt when SUV plunges off 134 Freeway in Eagle Rock

Authorities say a Ford Expedition heading east lost control and plunged onto North Figueroa Street about 6:55 p.m. A man, woman and child were killed. Three others are hospitalized.

August 12, 2012|By Bob Pool, Los Angeles Times
  • Emergency personnel examine the wreckage of an SUV that fell from a freeway to Figueroa Street on Sunday evening. A man, woman and child were killed. Three others were taken to hospitals.
Emergency personnel examine the wreckage of an SUV that fell from a freeway… (Jay L. Clendenin, Los Angeles…)

Three people were killed and three injured when an SUV flew off the side of the eastbound 134 Freeway in Eagle Rock on Sunday evening, landing on the street below.

According to the Los Angeles Fire Department, the vehicle was traveling rapidly in the far left lane at a point where the east- and west-bound portions of the 134 Freeway are on parallel bridges.

About 6:55 p.m., the vehicle drifted off the freeway into the space between the two bridges and fell onto North Figueroa Street below.

Five of the passengers were trapped in the vehicle, which was an early 2000s-model Ford Expedition, and had to be rescued by Los Angeles and Pasadena firefighters. A man, woman and 11-year-old girl were pronounced dead at the scene.

Two others riding in the SUV — a 55-year-old man and 36-year-old woman — were in critical condition and taken toLos Angeles County-USC Medical Center, CHP officers said.

A 6-year-old girl was thrown from the vehicle and was found on the freeway. She was taken to Children's Hospital Los Angeles, CHP officials said.

The names of the victims were not released because their relatives had not yet been notified, investigators said. The cause of the accident was not immediately clear.

Investigators said the accident involved only one vehicle. However, two other cars on the freeway sustained minor damage from debris left by the SUV when it lost control. There were no other injuries.

CHP Officer J. Knill said he was able to briefly speak with the man and the woman who died as they were pulled from the car by rescuers. But a minute or so later, firefighters were covering their bodies with blankets.

About 10 fire companies from Pasadena and Los Angeles and six rescue ambulances responded to the accident.

The eastbound side of the freeway was closed for more than an hour, and some lanes remained closed late Sunday.

Los Angeles Times Articles