Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsKeystone Xl

Enbridge pipeline opponents lack national platform of Keystone XL

August 19, 2012|By Matt Pearce
  • A worker monitors the water in Talmadge Creek in Marshall Township, Mich., near the Kalamazoo River as oil from a ruptured pipeline, owned by Enbridge Inc, is vacuumed out of the water.
A worker monitors the water in Talmadge Creek in Marshall Township, Mich.,… (Paul Sancya / Associated…)

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Katy Bodenmiller was worried about the proposed pipeline work near her house in Groveland Township, Mich., so she started looking for help.

She emailed U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) asking about the project being pushed by a Canadian pipeline company called Enbridge Inc., which spilled 20,000 barrels of tar sands oil in Michigan in 2010.

The email response from Stabenow’s office: A form letter about the proposed Keystone XL pipeline — a different pipeline project proposed by another company altogether,TransCanada Corp.

The next big oil pipeline battle is here, and hardly anybody knows about it.

“It saddens me to say that all evidence points to us being better informed about this project than our elected officials,” Bodenmiller said. “But that's only because officials and the press, with a few exceptions, have failed to advocate for those they serve.”

A few weeks after she received the form letter -- and after The Times asked Stabenow's office for comment -- a staffer called to apologize for the mix-up, Bodenmiller said. 

Alberta-based Enbridge is moving forward with $8.8-billion worth of plans to greatly expand its U.S. pipeline network to pump more oil through nearly a dozen states.

That work includes the construction of two new pipelines from Illinois and Texas and the expansion of a line running through Bodenmiller’s property in Michigan that will move 500,000 barrels per day through the state once completed.

A somewhat similar effort by TransCanada to build an 830,000-barrel-per-day pipeline extension from Canada to the Texas coast — called Keystone XL — met national opposition from landowners, politicians and environmentalists. Their pressure put part of the project on hold because of a federal approval process managed by the State Department that allows the U.S. government to deny pipeline projects.

That hasn’t happened to Enbridge, even though one of the company's proposed pipeline projects would take 850,000 barrels per day from Oklahoma to the Texas coast. A nuance in federal law allows Enbridge to improve its pipelines inside the U.S. as long as the work doesn’t cross the Canadian border, meaning the State Department does not have to approve.

Enbridge is moving forward at the local and state level without the same friction faced by its competitor with Keystone XL, and expects to complete most of its projects by 2014. Local environmentalists and residents, worried about Enbridge’s safety record and requests to work on their land, have begun opposing Enbridge’s projects on their own.

Ernest “Junior” Hamilton, a 69-year-old Holly, Mich., resident, told The Times that Enbridge offered him $7,000 for pipeline work that would tear up his yard, remove all his trees, pass over his drinking well and ruin his septic system.

Hamilton refused to cooperate and now has a court date to determine whether the company could exercise eminent domain and take his land to do its work.

“If the judge says, ‘OK, you can take his property,’ it’s done,” Hamilton said. “I just paid it off last year. Paid on it for 30 years, and now a judge can say [to Enbridge], ‘Oh, you can have it because you feel the need.' "

Hamilton added, “Hopefully it will get somebody else’s attention, what they’re doing. Because it isn’t just me living out in the sticks.”

The company says it has followed all the rules, contacting landowners to notify them and negotiating to secure the necessary property easements.

Now environmental groups are discovering the limitations they face in opposing Enbridge’s projects state by state and county by county. In contrast, the Keystone XL battle provided a national platform.

Activists with the Indiana environmental group Save the Dunes said Enbridge was avoiding their request to hold a state-level meeting with residents and environmental groups about pipeline work in Indiana’s three northwest counties.

“Up to this point, we believe that the public has not been adequately informed of the project [in Indiana], and Enbridge has so far declined our request for a public meeting of state, federal and local regulators and concerned citizens,” Nathan Pavlovic, a land and advocacy specialist for the group, told The Times in an email.

An Enbridge spokesman said the company had already held an open house with local residents and offered to meet privately with Save the Dunes about the project.

“We work with the landowners one on one and we did offer to meet with them, but they turned us down for whatever reason, so I can’t really say anything beyond that,” Joe Martucci, an Enbridge project spokesman, told The Times. 

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|