Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsLawsuit

Scorsese calls Cecchi Gori lawsuit 'absurd,' 'media stunt'

August 24, 2012|By Ben Fritz
  • Martin Scorsese is being sued for allegedly reneging on an agreement to direct the movie "Silence."
Martin Scorsese is being sued for allegedly reneging on an agreement to… (Jay L. Clenindin )

Representatives for Martin Scorsese have dismissed a lawsuit filed against the director by Cecchi Gori Pictures as a "media stunt" whose claims are contradicted by an earlier agreement.

In a complaint filed Wednesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court, Cecchi Gori said Scorsese reneged on an agreement to direct a film called "Silence" for the production company as his next project.

Cecchi Gori Pictures is the troubled film venture founded by Italian media mogul Vittorio Cecchi Gori.

Instead of "Silence," Scorsese is about to start shooting "The Wolf of Wall Street," an adaptation of a book about mob-fueled securities fraud, starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

Following is the entire statement issued by spokeswomen for Scorsese:

"It is shocking to us that the lawyers for Cecchi Gori Pictures would file a suit pursuing such absurd claims considering the amicable working relationship between Martin Scorsese and the principals of Cecchi Gori Pictures. The claims are completely contradicted by, inconstent with, and contrary to the express terms of an agreement entered into by the parties last year.

"The lawsuit filing on the eve of Mr. Scorsese starting another picture has all the earmarks of a media stunt.

"Mr. Scorsese is confident that he will prevail in court should Cecchi Gori Pictures actually pursue this meritless action."

In an interview, Cecchi Gori chief executive Niels Juul said he filed the suit because he did not receive a response to repeated inquiries sent to the director and his production company. He said he hoped the dispute could be resolved amicably without a trial.

ALSO:

Scorsese sued by Cecchi Gori Pictures for movie choice

'Expendables 2' could be no. 1 again on slow box office weekend 

Tony Scott memorial to be held Friday at Hollywood Forever cemetery

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|