Advertisement

NASCAR's Carl Edwards says he's not moving to Penske in 2013

August 29, 2012|By Jim Peltz
  • Carl Edwards said he will drive the No. 99 Ford for Roush Fenway Racing again next year.
Carl Edwards said he will drive the No. 99 Ford for Roush Fenway Racing again… (John Harrelson / Getty Images…)

Carl Edwards, who is in danger of missing NASCAR's title playoff this season, shot down rumors he might switch teams next year and join Penske Racing.

Penske is deciding who will drive its No. 22 car next season after A.J. Allmendinger failed a drug test and was released from the team.

Edwards drives the No. 99 Ford for Roush Fenway Racing, and in a teleconference with reporters Wednesday ahead of Sunday's race in Atlanta, he brought up the rumors himself.

"I wouldn't mention it except that it's gotten bad enough that sponsors and folks are asking me about it," Edwards said. "I'll be driving the 99 car next year for sure."

Edwards, who narrowly missed winning the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series title last year, currently is 12th in the point standings without a win this season and is struggling to qualify for the 10-race Chase for the Cup championship playoff.

The Penske rumors included speculation that Edwards' contract with Roush Fenway might allow him to leave the team if he did not make the Chase.

"I don't ever talk about specifics of my contract with the media," Edwards said. "But truly, I can tell you this, I will be driving the 99 Fastenal Ford next year. I've never explored the option of driving the 22 car."

ALSO:

These are becoming dog days for Dodgers

Players pondering response to NHL's latest proposal

UCLA basketball players take home something valuable from China

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|