Drug tests for Juan Manuel Marquez, left, and Manny Pacquiao were declared… (Eric Jamison / Associated…)
Steroid and other performance-enhancing drug tests given to Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao were declared negative Friday by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
Marquez, 39, became noticeably more muscular before avenging two close losses by decisions and a draw by knocking out Pacquiao in the sixth round of their Saturday welterweight fight at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
In a Monday telephone conversation with The Times, Marquez expressed full confidence that his drug tests would be negative.
Years ago, Pacquiao had been accused of using so-called “power pellets” by rival fighter Floyd Mayweather Jr. – an accusation that led to a lawsuit and financial settlement. Marquez became the center of speculation before this bout because he used former steroid figure Angel “Memo” Heredia as his strength coach.
Additionally, Nevada did not subject either fighter to any random drug tests during their two-to-four month training camps.
Marquez, angered by the implications, said he is willing before his next fight to participate in random, Olympic-style drug testing with his opponent throughout training camp.
Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer said his agency can carry out such testing if asked.
“We’d be happy to help,” said Kizer, noting that Pacquiao, his promoter Bob Arum and Mayweather’s promoter Richard Schaefer approved of such testing before a failed negotiation for those fighters in 2010, when Mayweather rejected the overture and demanded the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency conduct the testing.
USADA was subjected to criticism for its involvement in tests before former champion Erik Morales was allowed to fight world junior-welterweight champion Danny Garcia in New York after finding that Morales had tested positive for the banned fat-cutting substance clenbuterol.
Kizer said he tested all 44 fighters who participated in three boxing shows at the Mirage, Texas Station and MGM last weekend, with no positives.
However, Kizer said his agency collected five positive samples from fighters in November.
Also Friday, the Nevada commission won a court victory affirming its decision to suspend Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight contender Nick Diaz until Feb. 4 for a positive marijuana result.
Diaz is positioned to fight welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre next.
Manny Pacquiao's wife wants him to retire
Bode Miller hits wife in the face with errant golf shot
Mike Eruzione to auction off his 1980 Olympics hockey jersey