Advertisement
 

Connecticut medical examiner: 'Everybody was hit more than once'

December 15, 2012|By Tina Susman, Brian Bennett and Michael Muskal

NEWTOWN, Conn. -- All of the victims killed in the Connecticut elementary school shooting died from multiple wounds from a "long gun" rifle and are classified as homicides, the state’s chief medical examiner said Saturday.

At a news conference, Dr. H. Wayne Carver II described the postmortems on the 20 children and six adults killed in Friday’s attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

"I’ve been at this for a third of a century and my sensibilities may not be the average man’s, but this is probably the worst I have seen or the worst that I know of any my colleagues having seen,” he said.

PHOTOS: Shooting at Connecticut school

Officials distributed to reporters the names of all 26 victims and were preparing to release the bodies to the families for burial.

Carver said he believed the postmortems of all the children had been completed and those of the adults killed at the school would be done by Saturday night. The postmortems of the assailant and his mother will be done Sunday, he said.

Officials have yet to formally name the shooter, but law enforcement sources have identified him as Adam Lanza, 20, who lived with his mother, Nancy.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|