Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsNews

Ocampo 'wasn't done with killings,' officials say

The man accused of being the Orange County serial killer stalked his victims and had targeted more, prosecutors say. The suspect allegedly chose one homeless man who told the Los Angeles Times he wasn't afraid.

January 18, 2012|By Hailey Branson-Potts, Christopher Goffard and Nicole Santa Cruz, Los Angeles Times
  • Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas holds up a photo of a knife like the one allegedly used by Itzcoatl "Izzy" Ocampo.
Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas holds up a photo of a knife like… (Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles…)

He would select the homeless men and hunt them down, prosecutors said, waiting for the perfect moment to end their lives.

He hung out at the same Yorba Linda library as one of his alleged victims, scrolling through job listings on a computer. And he stalked his final victim after seeing the man's photo with a Los Angeles Times article about the killings of homeless men, authorities said.

After he was arrested, detectives said, they found evidence that 23-year-old Itzcoatl "Izzy" Ocampo had already selected future victims.

"He wasn't done with the killings," said Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas, who didn't specify how investigators were certain that more victims had been targeted. "We know that he had selected others and why.... He appeared to like the press coverage."

Orange County prosecutors outlined their case against Ocampo on Tuesday. The former Marine from Yorba Linda was charged with murder with special circumstances, making him eligible for the death penalty. Ocampo, who is being held in isolation on a psychological watch, is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday in Santa Ana.

His attorney, Randall Longwith, said he was finally allowed to see Ocampo on Tuesday afternoon, but only after getting a court order.

"They indicate he sleeps most of the day," Longwith said. "He was curled up in a ball under a blanket in underwear, no shirt, no pants. He looked like a wet cat — a scared, wet cat. It wasn't much conversation."

Members of Ocampo's family said they can't believe he's the killer, adding that he was generous to the homeless and frequently gave food and money to panhandlers.

But prosecutors accuse Ocampo of a "serial thrill-kill spree," outlining each of the killings in graphic detail and saying that the attacks became more furious and violent.

Photos: Serial killer targets Orange County homeless

The first killing occurred about 8:15 p.m. on Dec. 20, when Ocampo walked into a Placentia strip mall wearing a dark sweat shirt with a hood pulled over his head, prosecutors said. They said he approached James McGillivray, 53, a homeless man who was lying behind the complex.

Ocampo knelt on McGillivray's chest and stabbed him more than 40 times in the head, neck and upper torso, continuing the attack even after his victim stopped struggling, prosecutors said. A surveillance camera installed two days earlier by a property management company captured the attack, which proved "key to the case," Rackauckas said. McGillivray's body was found the next morning.

Prosecutors said Ocampo had planned the slaying, as he did with the next victim, Lloyd Middaugh, 42, who was taking shelter under a bridge by the Santa Ana River in Anaheim when he was attacked just before midnight Dec. 27. Middaugh was found the next morning with more than 50 stab wounds to the head and torso, prosecutors said.

Three days later, Paulus "Dutch" Smit, 57, arrived at the Yorba Linda Public Library, where he was a well-known presence. Also known as a regular was his accused killer, a local whose family said spent time at the library reading and scanning job listings.

Smit's daughter, Heather Smit-Rayo, said her father called her just after 3 p.m. that day, sounding upset. He told her his bicycle, which had his bedroll and medications, had been stolen while he was at the library reading an article.

Authorities told the family they believe Ocampo stole her father's bicycle before killing him. Late that afternoon, Smit's body was found near the library with more than 60 stab wounds.

Similarities between the killings led investigators to suspect a single attacker was responsible, and a task force involving local authorities and the FBI was formed.

Roadblocks were set up, and twice — in Placentia on Jan. 10, and in Yorba Linda three days later — Ocampo drove through them without arousing suspicion; he was calm, authorities said.

Prosecutors said he appeared to drive through the police checkpoints deliberately, the last time just hours before his arrest.

Police blanketed the region, warning the homeless to seek emergency shelter and to stay in groups. Many heeded the warnings.

John Berry, 64, who had camped for months along the Santa Ana River in Anaheim, was one who did not.

"I'm not too worried," he told a Los Angeles Times reporter who accompanied police on a ride-along as they warned the homeless to be cautious. Berry said he didn't like to stay in shelters and had friends to look out for him.

"I feel like God will take care of me — it's all in God's hands," he said.

Photos: Serial killer targets Orange County homeless

Berry's name and photograph appeared in the Jan. 7 edition of the newspaper, which Rackauckas said the killer used to select Berry as a victim.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|