YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Jury selection to start in LAPD detective's slaying case

Det. Stephanie Lazarus' lawyer will contest the handling of saliva and fingernail evidence found at the scene of a woman's death in 1986 in Van Nuys. Detectives linked them to Lazarus more than two decades after the slaying.

January 29, 2012|By Joel Rubin, Los Angeles Times
  • Veteran LAPD Det. Stephanie Lazarus is accused of killing the wife of her ex-boyfriend in Van Nuys in 1986. She has pleaded not guilty.
Veteran LAPD Det. Stephanie Lazarus is accused of killing the wife of her… (Al Seib, Los Angeles Times )

It was 26 years ago, almost to the day, that the body of Sherri Rasmussen was discovered beaten and bloodied on the floor of the Van Nuys town house she shared with her new husband. Three bullets fired at close range were lodged in the young woman's chest, and there was a human bite mark on her arm.

From the bite, investigators gathered a saliva sample on a cotton swab and sealed it in a plastic tube. At the time, it told them nothing about the killer. But, more than two decades later, it was the piece of evidence that led cold case detectives from the Los Angeles Police Department to one of their own.

Now, 2 1/2 years after her arrest, the murder trial of Det. Stephanie Lazarus is set to begin. Jury selection gets underway this week, and opening arguments in what is expected to be a monthlong trial are scheduled for next Monday.

The saliva, along with broken fingernails collected at the crime scene, promise to play a central, contentious role in the case, as Lazarus' attorney tries to cast doubt on prosecutors' allegation that the evidence contains Lazarus' DNA and proves her guilt.

Rasmussen, a 29-year-old hospital nursing director, was killed Feb. 24, 1986, a few months after her marriage to John Ruetten. Ruetten returned from work that evening to find his wife dead in the living room.

Overturned furniture and blood on the walls were evidence that a brutal struggle had occurred. Rasmussen's head had been bludgeoned. Wounds on her wrist and cords on the floor indicated that she had been tied up. A thick robe with bullet holes in it lay nearby. Police suspect the killer used it to muffle the sound of gunshots.

Seeing that her BMW had been taken and electronic equipment was stacked at the foot of the stairs, the lead detective in the case, Lyle Mayer, theorized that thieves had killed Rasmussen when she found them attempting to rob the home. When a pair of armed burglars broke into a nearby house a short time later, Mayer focused on them as suspects and worked to identify and find them. That investigation went nowhere.

A few years before the killing, Lazarus had graduated from UCLA and promptly joined the LAPD. At school she had become close with Ruetten, an engineering student, and the two dated off and on for a few years after graduating. As a cop, she worked varied assignments, was promoted to detective, and eventually landed a specialized post as one of the LAPD's two art theft investigators. Along the way Lazarus married a colleague, and the couple adopted a young daughter.

Her life took an abrupt turn one morning in June 2009, when she was summoned from her desk on the third floor of the LAPD's headquarters to the jail located downstairs with a ruse about an inmate who had information he wanted to share about one of her cases. As she removed her handgun and passed through the security gate, detectives intercepted Lazarus and led her into an interrogation room.

"You're accusing me of this?" Lazarus asked near the end of the roughly hourlong interview, after one of the detectives alluded to evidence that implicated her in the killing.

"Am I on 'Candid Camera' or something? This is insane," she said before walking out of the room, where she was handcuffed and arrested. Since then, Lazarus, who retired from the department and pleaded not guilty, has remained in custody in lieu of $10-million bail — an amount her attorney, Mark Overland, unsuccessfully appealed on the grounds that it was excessive.

The path that led detectives to suspect Lazarus began when DNA testing, which had come into use in the years after the slaying, was done on the saliva sample collected from the bite mark. The tests showed it had come from a woman, upending the initial theory that two male burglars had killed her.

In 2009, when a homicide detective reopened the case and realized the significance of the new information, he and others started the investigation from scratch. After re-interviewing Ruetten and Rasmussen's parents, suspicion fell on Lazarus. A highly secretive four-month investigation ensued and culminated with an undercover officer following Lazarus as she did errands. The officer snatched a cup from which Lazarus had been drinking after she threw it away. According to prosecutors, DNA tests on saliva taken from the cup matched the saliva from the bite mark on Rasmussen.

Her arrest landed like a bombshell in the tight-knit circles of the LAPD, especially among officers who knew Lazarus and were left to wonder whether she had harbored such a dark secret for so long. It also raised uncomfortable questions for current LAPD officials about why Lazarus had not been considered a suspect at the time. Rasmussen's father publicly and angrily denounced Det. Mayer's failure to do so, saying that he had told the detective that Ruetten had been involved with an LAPD officer who had repeatedly confronted his daughter in a threatening way. Investigators do not suspect Ruetten of having been involved.

Los Angeles Times Articles