Monica Thayer had been on the job just six days when she got scalped. Literally.
Her long brown hair caught in a machine at an auto parts plant in Barberton, Ohio, the Akron Beacon Journal reported, pulling her in and ripping off her scalp from her eyebrows backward to her neck.
Her mother, Mary Thayer, has worked at the same place, JR Engineering, for 25 years. She told the Akron paper Monica was thrilled to get the job – which pays $8 an hour and does not include health insurance.
Monica Thayer, 25, was trying to clear the machine about 11 p.m. Monday when the accident happened, her mother said.
“It caught hold of her hair and just pulled her in,” Mary Thayer said. “She said she just felt a jerk and it just pulled her.... It literally tore the entire scalp off her head.”
Surgeons at Akron General Medical Center reattached about 75% of her scalp, her family said Tuesday, but the remaining 25% was too mangled. She’s in intensive care and is likely to need plastic surgery.
The company told the Beacon Journal it was investigating the incident. As you might imagine, so is the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
“The bottom line is that people’s safety is at stake,” Mary Thayer said. “I’m just hopping mad about this.”
She said her daughter doesn’t realize the extent of her injuries. She “just thinks she lost some hair.”
Texas judge: JetBlue pilot not guilty by reason of insanity
In South Pacific, search is on (again) for Amelia Earhart's plane
N.C. to sea-level forecasters: Ignore climate-change data for now