"Katy Perry: Part of Me" opened in fifth place on its first day,… (Paramount Pictures )
"The Amazing Spider-Man" has racked up $75 million in domestic ticket sales in its first three days, while "Katy Perry: Part of Me" took in just $3.1 million on its first day.
The opening for Paramount Pictures' low-budget 3-D documentary about the pop star was a modest start, not only lagging behind the web slinger, but also "Ted," "Magic Mike" and "Brave."
Opening day audiences loved the picture, however, giving it an average grade of A, according to market research firm CinemaScore. "Part of Me" appears likely to match expectations among people who had seen pre-release surveys that the film would gross about $13 million through Sunday.
VIDEO: 'The Amazing Spider-Man' review by Kenneth Turan
Sony Pictures' "Spider-Man" reboot, meanwhile, posted the second highest Thursday ever for a movie in its third day of release, behind 2007's "Transformers." It remains on track to gross a little less than $150 million through Sunday.
The more important total for "The Amazing Spider-Man" may come from overseas. Sony is premiering the film in 57 new foreign countries this weekend including the United Kingdom, Spain, Australia, Mexico and Russia and could easily take in more than $100 million by Sunday. That's on top of the movie's early start of $50 million last weekend from 13 international markets, most in Asia.
Sony executives expect "The Amazing Spider-Man" to ultimately gross significantly more internationally than in the U.S. and Canada.
Here are the top five movies at the box office on Thursday, according to studio estimates and Hollywood.com:
1. "The Amazing Spider-Man" (Sony): $15.8 million on its third day. Domestic total: $75 million.
2. "Ted" (Universal/Relativity/MRC): $8 million on its sixth day. Domestic total: $87.7 million.
3. "Magic Mike" (Warner Bros.): $4.7 million on its sixth day. Domestic total: $67.2 million.
4. "Brave" (Disney/Pixar): Estimated $5 million on its 13th day. Domestic total: $154.4 million.
5. "Katy Perry: Part of Me" (Paramount Insurge): $3.1 million on its first day.
'Katy Perry,' 'Savages' will get caught in 'Spider-Man's' web
'Amazing Spider-Man' has strong box office debut in Asia
Raunch rules as R-rated films 'Ted,' 'Magic Mike' over perform