Advertisement

TCA: Nigel Lythgoe's future on 'American Idol' -- 'We're in negotiations'

July 23, 2012|By Yvonne Villarreal
  • Nigel Lythgoe in Beverly Hills on Monday.
Nigel Lythgoe in Beverly Hills on Monday. (Frederick M. Brown / Getty…)

Who the new judges will be on the next season of  "American Idol"isn't the only question facing Fox. The fate of one of the key figures behind the scenes -- executive producer Nigel Lythgoe -- is also up in the air. 

 Lythgoe is keeping mum.

 "I can’t make any comments about my future with 'Idol' at the moment," Lythgoe said during the Television Critics Assn. press tour Monday, where he was doing press for his other Fox show, "So You Think You Can Dance." "We're in negotiations," he added.

PHOTOS: 'American Idol' judges through the years

 Earlier this month, Tyler and Fox announced he was departing the show after two seasons to focus on Aerosmith, the band he fronts (though, sources say he was pushed out). A few days later, Lopez told "Idol" host Ryan Seacrest she was looking to leave the show to give more attention to her other acting and music projects.

But maybe Lythgoe's feelings toward those departures signals his hope for a longer presence. "I was really upset to hear ofSteven [Tyler] leaving us and the possibility of Jennifer [Lopez] leaving us. She did say 99% she's leaving.  Strange thing to say. You're either leaving or not leaving. I hope that 1% means she's not leaving."

ALSO:

PBS addresses Fred Willard firing

Ken Burns takes on 'The Dust Bowl'

 8 Things we learned about 'Downton Abbey'

Follow Yvonne Villarreal on Twitter: @villarrealy

PHOTOS, VIDEO AND MORE:

PHOTOS: Behind the scenes and the Emmys Round Table

PHOTOS: Celebrity photos by the Times

VIDEO: Watch the latest fall TV trailers here

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|