Michael Marin, an outdoor enthusiast and former Wall Street trader, killed himself by swallowing cyanide in an Arizona courtroom moments after he was convicted of arson, officials have ruled.
Marin, 53, was sitting at the defendant’s table in Maricopa County Superior Court in Phoenix when the verdict was returned June 28. He was caught on video, slumping forward, head in hands, and he appeared to swallow something that had been hidden in his fingers. He also drank from a water bottle.
Marin soon went into convulsions and was pronounced dead in the courtroom.
The autopsy of Marin lists the cause of death as “suicide by cyanide,” a spokeswoman for the Maricopa County medical examiner’s office said in a telephone interview with the Los Angeles Times on Friday. The ruling was based on toxicology tests.