Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, lands the top spot on the Vanity Fair… (Geoff Pugh / Associated…)
It's a great day to be the Duchess of Cambridge.
The former Kate Middleton is one of the brightest stars of the London Olympic Games, and she hasn't even broken a sweat. She has sailed to the top of Vanity Fair's international best-dressed list, which was announced Tuesday, and she is about to redecorate one of the world's most coveted pieces of real estate.
Here are few new things to know about the style icon, philanthropist and duchess:
1. She's a bona fide cover girl: While Kate and William previously appeared on a Vanity Fair cover ahead of their massively hyped April 2011 wedding, and she's enjoyed countless tabloid fronts and a rather bizarre Marie Claire outing, Kate is now featured on the cover of the September issue of Vanity Fair. Not only is it often the heftiest month of any mag, a September cover is a prominent showcase of star power.
PHOTOS: Royals take in the Olympic Games
2. She changes up to five times a day: Her royal duties can require up to five costume changes per day, a task that can stress William's bride, according to Vanity Fair, but one performed with as little fuss as possible. Kate still refuses the help of a royal dresser, preferring to shop and accessorize her own looks with an emphasis on recycling clothing and mixing in affordable brands.
3. She's the only cook in the kitchen: Will and Kate's Anglesey estate, off the northwest coast of Wales, could easily tip over with staff and handlers, but Kate prefers to keep it simple. The couple, described as "foodies" in the profile penned by royals watcher Katie Nicholl, enjoy stockpiled homemade strawberry jam and links from their own sausage maker -- all executed by Chef Kate.
4. She enjoys DVD box sets just like you do: Will and Kate obsessively watch entire seasons of awesome TV. They're currently hooked on the now-canceled AMC drama "The Killing." No spoilers, ya'll.
5. She's about to open shop at Kensington Palace: The Vanity Fair profile points out the delicious fact that, come fall, Kate will land herself a garage clicker to Kensington Palace, the stunning royal compound in London that once housed Princess Diana. The duchess will personally oversee renovation and redecoration with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles footing the bill (to the reported tune of $1.5 million).
We certainly hope a nursery will be carved out.
Duchess Kate and Prince William: Olympic golden couple
Olympic torch gets palace welcome from Will, Kate and Harry
Duchess Kate visits Olympic exhibit in support of London Games
Follow Matt Donnelly on Twitter and Google+. Follow the Ministry of Gossip on Twitter @LATcelebs.
PHOTOS AND MORE:
PHOTOS: Celebrity portraits by The Times
INTERACTIVE: TVs highest paid stars
PHOTOS: The Hollywood baby boom