The Izod IndyCar Series said Wednesday its inaugural race in China on Aug. 19 had been canceled and the series was looking for a possible substitute venue.
"IndyCar has been notified by the promoter that the event is canceled for 2012," IndyCar Chief Executive Randy Bernard said in a statement.
The race was scheduled to be held on a 3.87-mile street course in Qingdao on the northeast coast of China.
But the local government there balked at holding the race on the scheduled date and a new date or location could not be found in time, the Associated Press reported.
As a result, IndyCar said it was looking at "a possible replacement event" that would keep the series' schedule at 16 races this year.