Battle of the Dance has closed its doors in Anaheim. (Rick Loomis / Los Angeles…)
The curtain has fallen on Anaheim's Battle of the Dance.
The dinner theater, which opened last year at a price tag of $10 million, has closed indefinitely, according to a report in the Orange County Register.
Signs announcing the closure were posted outside, advising ticket holders to contact the email address email@example.com.
The Battle of the Dance website was barely in order Tuesday morning, saying it was under construction. No one answered the administration line.
With the help of investors, Battle brainchild Andres Gelabert last year converted a vacant 40,000-square-foot Toys R Us near Disneyland into an extravagant 950-seat venue.
Gelabert, who had a similar dinner-theater show in Majorca, Spain, told The Times in 2011 he wasn't capitalizing on the TV-fueled dance craze, thanks to popular reality shows like"Dancing With the Stars" and "So You Think You Can Dance."
"I'm not here for the money. I'm here to show people first-class dancing and Southern California is one of the best places to do this," he said.
When it opened, Battle of the Dance had a roster of 40 performers including magicians, comedians and acrobats and featured flamenco dancers squaring off against Irish step-dancing troupes on stage; patrons were served champagne and filet mignon.
While the caliber of dance seemed to please the crowd, the menu didn't fare quite as well. ("Tragic" and "terrible" were frequent descriptives for dishes on Yelp.)
More recently the theater was often half empty on weekends and in May had turned to Groupon and other online group sales sites in an attempt to fill seats.
Gruen, Grimshaw tapped for Union Station master plan
Cristin Milioti of 'Once' in talks to join Scorsese's next film
Michigan lawmakers join political staging of 'Vagina Monologues'