Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsPriests

Monsignor convicted of child endangerment in priest abuse coverup

June 22, 2012|By David Zucchino
  • Msgr. William Lynn heads to court in Philadelphia this week.
Msgr. William Lynn heads to court in Philadelphia this week. (Matt Rourke / Associated…)

A Pennsylvania jury Friday convicted Msgr. William J. Lynn of child endangerment for covering up sexual abuse of children by priests, but found the former Philadelphia archdiocese official not guilty of conspiracy and another endangerment charge.

Lynn, 61, is the first Roman Catholic official in the U.S. to be tried and convicted on charges related to the church scandal in which priests across the country sexually abused children for years. In the landmark case, prosecutors said Lynn reassigned pedophile priests in Philadelphia while covering up allegations of sexual abuse.

The jury of seven men and five women deadlocked on attempted rape and child endangerment charges against the Rev. James J. Brennan, prompting the judge in the case to declare a mistrial on those charges. Prosecutors could decide to retry Brennan.

By assigning pedophile priests to unsuspecting parishes, prosecutors said, Lynn exposed more children to potential abuse in an attempt to protect the church’s reputation and stave off lawsuits. Prosecutors produced a list that Lynn compiled in 1994 naming 37 priests in the archdiocese who had been identified as pedophiles or were suspected of sexually abusing children. 

Lynn faces up to seven years in prison on the endangerment conviction. He was denied bail and will remain in custody while awaiting a sentencing hearing Aug. 13.        

Friday’s verdicts came on the 13th day of jury deliberations in the two-month trial in Philadelphia’s Common Pleas court. 

The trial was noteworthy because Lynn was not accused of sexual misconduct, but of covering it up. More than a dozen witnesses testified that they were sexually abused by priests who had been allowed to serve in their parishes even after being suspected or accused of abuse.

Among Lynn’s responsibilities as secretary for clergy for the 1.5 million-member archdiocese from 1992 to 2004 was supervising more than 800 priests and investigating allegations of sexual abuse. He was accused of recommending that Brennan and another priest suspected of abusing children, Edward Avery, continue to serve in parishes in the nation’s sixth-largest archdiocese.

Brennan, 48, was accused of raping a 14-year-old boy in 1996. Avery pleaded guilty before trial of sexually assaulting a 10-year-old altar boy in 1999 and is serving a 2½-to-five-year prison sentence.

Prosecutors said Lynn lied to parents about pedophile priests in an attempt to protect the archdiocese, and that he and other church officials were lax in responding to credible reports of abuse. In some instances, prosecutors said, Lynn suggested to accused priests that their young alleged victims had enticed them into sexual contact.

In testimony that lasted three days, Lynn told jurors that he compiled the list of pedophile priests in order to address allegations of sexual abuse. Before the trial, archdiocese lawyers gave prosecutors a handwritten church memo that suggested Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua had ordered the list destroyed.

Lynn testified that only Bevilacqua, who died in January at age 88, had the authority to remove pedophile priests.

"I did my best with what I could do,’’ Lynn testified.

Lynn said he tried to persuade some accused priests to leave their posts and undergo treatment. And he testified that medical experts had advised him not to contact alleged victims because they would be unwilling to discuss details of sexual abuse.

While arguing for bail for Lynn on Friday, defense attorney Jeffrey M. Lindy told Judge M. Teresa Sarmina: "You can’t seriously think that Monsignor Lynn, after being investigated after 10 years, is going to flee,’’ the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Assistant Dist. Atty. Patrick Blessington countered by telling the judge: "This is a case that is going to call for a tough jail sentence.’’

Blessington added: "Let’s start today. Today, to jail. That’s justice.’’

ALSO:

Sandusky jurors pause to re-hear testimony

George Zimmerman re-enacts encounter with Trayvon Martin

Bullied bus monitor: U.S. Marines have her back; Disneyland in her future

david.zucchino@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|