Advertisement

N.Y. girl electrocuted during game of miniature golf in Orlando

June 28, 2012|By Michael Muskal
  • Ashton Jojo was electrocuted when she reached into a small pond at the Orange Lake Resort to retrieve her golf ball.
Ashton Jojo was electrocuted when she reached into a small pond at the Orange… (Colin Bartlett / Flickr )

A cause of death has been determined for an 11-year-old upstate New York girl who died Wednesday while playing miniature golf in Orlando, Fla.; she was electrocuted, officials have determined.

The child, identified as Ashton Jojo of Latham, N.Y., apparently had reached into a small pond at the Orange Lake Resort to retrieve her golf ball, Florida officials told the Orlando Sentinel.

The Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner announced the cause of death on  Thursday.

Orange County code enforcement officers inspected the pond and found possible violations, the newspaper said. It appears that electrical breakers were placed improperly.

Ground-fault interrupter breakers are required for water features that have submerged pumps, Allen Morton, assistant manager of Orange County's Division of Building Safety, told the paper. It appears that such breakers were not used, he said.

That means water could have gotten inside the motor, electrical wires or the electrical connection, which would have caused the water to be electrically charged, Morton told the newspaper.

“Orange Lake Resort holds the safety and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern. The miniature golf facility where the incident happened is closed and will not reopen until further notice. Our thoughts and prayers are with the guests, their families and friends during this time,” the resort said in a statement.

ALSO: 

Alien invasion? That's OK with most Americans

A space telescope to thwart asteroids? Donations needed

Colorado wildfires: Air Force Academy carries on despite threat

Join Michael on Google+. Email: michael.muskal@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|