Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

ANGELS FYI

Angels' Torii Hunter is put on restricted list

Right fielder isn't at Angel Stadium on Monday after arrest of his son in Texas on suspicion of sexual assault of a child. Mark Trumbo replaces him in the lineup.

May 14, 2012|By Lance Pugmire
  • Angels outfielder Torii Hunter reacts after striking out against the Twins last week in Minneapolis.
Angels outfielder Torii Hunter reacts after striking out against the Twins… (Craig Lassig / EPA )

The Angels put All-Star right fielder Torii Hunter on baseball's restricted list Monday after his 17-year-old son's arrest in Prosper, Texas, on suspicion of felony sexual assault of a child.

Darius McClinton-Hunter, of McKinney, Texas, was arrested along with four high school classmates after a monthlong investigation, according to Prosper police.

McClinton-Hunter and Garrick White, also 17, were arrested as adults, police said, along with three juveniles. No record of charges against McClinton-Hunter could be found on the police website.

McClinton-Hunter is a wide receiver in football who reportedly has scholarship offers from Southern Methodist, Texas Tech, Utah, Wake Forest and West Virginia.

Torii Hunter was not at the ballpark Monday as the Angels opened a three-game series against the Oakland Athletics in Anaheim. His place on the roster was taken by Ryan Langerhans, a left-handed-hitting outfielder called up from triple-A Salt Lake. Hunter was replaced in the lineup by Mark Trumbo.

A message posted on Hunter's Twitter account Monday said, "This is very tough for a father. Thanks for ur prayers and support. Be Blessed everyone!"

Hunter reportedly watched his sons, Darius and Torii Jr., play in Prosper High's 8-0 playoff victory Saturday while the Angels were in Arlington for a series against the Texas Rangers.

Mired in a 2-for-29 slump, Hunter was given the day off Sunday, with Trumbo starting in his place.

The Angels did not specifically say why Hunter was put on the restricted list. Manager Mike Scioscia said his absence was because of a "personal issue."

Scioscia said Trumbo and Peter Bourjos would both be used to fill in for Hunter. "We have some depth there [in the outfield]; we'll use it," he said.

Aybar making adjustments

Shortstop Erick Aybar had three two-hit games after signing a four-year, $35-million extension on April 19, but he started Monday's game in an eight-for-60 skid with just one walk and nine strikeouts in his last 18 games.

"I saw the video showing I've been too open with my front leg," said Aybar, who has been dropped from leadoff to No. 8 in the batting order. "I worked it out [Monday]; we'll see.

"I feel bad because I'm not doing the job I'm supposed to do. I'll keep working hard.… I don't care about the money. Money's not everything to me. I'm going to work hard every day."

Aybar was taken aback a bit by his low walk numbers. He has just four in 115 at-bats.

"Maybe I'm swinging too much," he said. "When you're struggling, you try to do too much. I'm just [standing] too open, so when they pitch inside I have to close my hands and it wasn't working. Now I feel better."

Short hop

Reliever LaTroy Hawkins, on the disabled list because of a fractured right finger, said not much should be made of his lobbing the ball around in recent days. "Come talk to me in two weeks," he said.

lance.pugmire@latimes.com

twitter.com/latimespugmire

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|