Advertisement

John Travolta: 2nd suit off, Okorocha out, Allred angry, and more!

May 17, 2012|By Christie D'Zurilla
  • John Travolta with the T-Birds in the 1978 film "Grease."
John Travolta with the T-Birds in the 1978 film "Grease." (Paramount Pictures )

The second sexual-battery case against John Travolta has been dropped, with John Doe No. 2 — like John Doe No. 1 before him — jumping on the Gloria Allred bandwagon and considering refiling at a later date.

"We believe that the lawsuit should be filed in another court and, therefore, the lawsuit that was on file was dismissed without prejudice," Allred told CNN on Thursday, explaining that her team was talking to the second massage therapist about how he’d like to proceed.

Travolta lawyer Martin Singer told TMZ he looked forward to "trying the case against Gloria Allred in a court of law, not in the media." According to him, neither of the Does had been or would be paid to make his claims go away.

That theoretically ends an attention-filled two weeks or so for Pasadena attorney Okorie Okorocha, who rather than stepping quietly out of the media spotlight on Thursday instead chose to accuse his former clients’ new counsel of poaching his case, describing her behavior to CNN as “unethical and against state bar rules.” Allred was not pleased, telling RumorFix she would see Okorocha in court if he didn't retract his "false statements."

Such bravado, however, has seemed in character for Okorocha, a lawyer who was dead set on delivering his clients anonymity as well as a day a day in court.

“I’m the real deal. [Singer] stepped into the ring with a gorilla. I am relentless,” Okorocha boasted last week while opposing counsel threatened to sue him for malicious prosecution and evidence piled up contradicting his first client’s allegations.

“Bring it on,” he said, only to find himself apologizing to Singer days later when it became clear he’d blown a key date in his May 4 filing. A report that John Doe No. 2 would settle for $250,000 was inaccurate, he said, the result of his own "jibber-jabbering" with a friend from church who coincidentally works at Radar Online.

With Allred now at the helm "the case is gonna go away quietly," Okorocha said Thursday in an interview posted on TMZ. He is predicting an “under-the-table payment."

That said, he told CNN that should a deal be made, he was prepared to fight for his “equitable share” of that previously unthinkable settlement, as he’d done “the majority of the work to get to where we are,”

In the meantime, for Okorocha’s sake, let’s hope nobody took him up on the challenge he’d made Wednesday in response to a question about whether John Doe No. 2’s complaint was likely to be settled or dropped.

“John Doe No. 2 ain't going nowhere. He ain't never. He would never, ever, go anywhere even close. He would wait 5 years just to have a trial. He would, he means business,” he declared to CNN.

“Put up your bets.… Whatever the Vegas odds are, you can go ahead and wager your house that the case ain't going nowhere,” he added.

Oops.

One thing we do expect to stick around for a while: an upsurge in questionable stories alleging a sexually unstoppable Travolta.

Cut to Singer, who made a statement to the New York Post on Thursday.

“This spate of recklessly published tabloid stories,” he said, “is just part of a malicious tabloid agenda to boost lagging sales by running outrageous defamatory stories about my client sourced by people seeking notoriety or a payday.”

Stay tuned.

RELATED:

Travolta scandal weaves from lurid to 'Let's revisit that'

Third Travolta accuser emerges, first parts ways with lawyer

John Travolta accused by second man in sexual-battery lawsuit

Follow Christie D'Zurilla on Twitter and Google+. Follow the Ministry of Gossip @LATcelebs.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|