You can draw a straight line, in terms of architectural history, from William Randolph Hearst'ssprawling estate in San Simeon to the corner of Broadway and 11th Street in downtown Los Angeles. It was at that downtown site in 1913 that Hearst commissioned architect Julia Morgan to design a headquarters for his Los Angeles Examiner newspaper, which he'd founded in 1903.
Morgan produced one of the most remarkable designs of her prolific career, a 103,500-square-foot Mission Revival building draped with Italian and Moorish touches, including domes covered in yellow and blue tile. It opened in 1914.
Hearst was so pleased with the results that five years later he hired Morgan, California's first registered female architect, to design San Simeon. She would work on that gargantuan project for more than two decades, overseeing the main residence and a long list of auxiliary buildings.
Hearst died in 1951, and in 1962 the company he left behind merged the Examiner with the Herald-Express, creating the Herald-Examiner, or HerEx for short. By then Morgan's building had already acquired a deeply old-fashioned air.