Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsCalifornia

Letters: Don't count out the GOP just yet

November 13, 2012

Re “Dear GOP: Change or Die,” Column, Nov. 11


Steve Lopez pokes fun at the GOP and even tells Republicans to get out of California if they're so unhappy. (So much for the role of dissent in a democracy.)

But jeer as he may, Lopez cannot pin the state's shortcomings and looming downfall on anyone but the Democrats.

In the last state election, there were many young, qualified and articulate Republican candidates, many of them minorities and women, who were soundly beaten nevertheless. Most Californians rarely follow an election and simply vote the party line.

Now that Democrats may enjoy a super-majority, I suppose the GOP can never compete in this state unless it changes its name to mean “Give Or Perish.”

Doris O'Brien
Pasadena

Lopez has it totally backward.

True, the GOP in California has diminished, but the popular vote nationwide was narrowly different, with the GOP winning in states that are comparatively thriving. It is California that is dying.

Look at California's problems; they are rampant: unemployment way up, cities going bankrupt, schools failing and on and on.

The GOP also seems to have alienated immigrants. True. But whereas earlier immigrants who rejoiced at being here couldn't wait to assimilate, now the immigrants don't seem to want to assimilate.

The Democrats in power persist in out-of-control spending and want to raise taxes to compensate. They have this wonderful idea of taxing the rich their “fair share.” I don't worry about the rich. They can take care of themselves.

I live in California; I can afford the taxes. But believe me, if Missouri, where I grew up, had a climate like San Diego's, I'd be out of here.

Charles W. Bennett
San Diego

My preferred option is for formation of a new political party that would embrace the 20% of voters who already decline to identify with either the Republicans or the Democrats (as presently led), and then pick up pragmatic, progressive voters from the middle.

If that new party could capture 40% of registered voters, that would leave the other 60% to be split between the extreme liberal and conservative fringes.

It's time for us to junk the two-party system if we are to have any chance to save the California dream.

As they used to say, the best new ideas start in California. We can only hope it still rings true.

Thomas Oatway
Valencia

More letters to the editor ...

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|