Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsBud Selig

NEWSWIRE

Bud Selig says he is examining Marlins trade

Major League Baseball Commissioner says he's aware of fan anger in South Florida.

November 15, 2012|From Staff and Wire Reports
  • Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig talks at a news conference as he and Hank Aaron, right, announce Hank Aaron Award winners before Game 3 of baseball's World Series on Oct. 27, 2012. , in Detroit. (AP Photo/
Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig talks at a news conference… (Paul Sancya / Associated…)

Selig says he is examining Marlins trade

Bud Selig was on hand when the Miami Marlins played their first regular-season game in their swanky new ballpark in April. The commissioner provided a glowing review of the $634-million project and boldly declared that opposition to the facility would fade away within five years.

So far, it's not looking so good for that last prediction.

Selig said Thursday he is examining the pending blockbuster trade that sends at least three of Miami's best players to Toronto for a package of prospects only seven months after the Marlins moved into their new home, which was financed primarily with tax money.

Speaking at the conclusion of the owners' meetings in Rosemont, Ill., Selig said he also is aware of fan anger in South Florida but is going to do what's in the best interests of the sport.

ETC.

NHL proposes hiatus in talks

Commissioner Gary Bettman proposed that the NHL and the Players' Assn. take a hiatus from negotiations for as long as two weeks, which would all but ensure the season would not start before mid-December or early January if it starts at all.

The NHL imposed a lockout on Sept. 15 because of the lack of a collective bargaining agreement with players, who on Thursday missed what would have been their third paycheck of the season. Sporadic negotiations between the two sides have produced agreement on a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenue but no accord on how to get there or on many other key, contract-related issues.

"I think the process is stalled right now. We are done with making proposals and we don't have any new ideas," Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said when asked about the next step.

"I guess we will wait to see if the PA has anything to offer that would get us interested in returning to the table. It's unfortunate."

Steve Fehr, special counsel to the NHLPA, said: "Of course everyone on the players' side wants to reach an agreement. The players have offered the owners concessions worth about a billion dollars. What exactly have the owners offered the players? We believe that it is more likely that we will make progress if we meet than if we don't. "

—Helene Elliott

::

Suzann Pettersen birdied two of her last three holes for a six-under-par 66 and a share of the lead with So Yeon Ryu and Sun Young Yoo in the LPGA Tour's season-ending Titleholders at Naples, Fla. … Spain's Javier Colomo shot a six-under 64 to take the first-round lead in the Hong Kong Open, leaving top-ranked defending champion Rory McIlroy nine strokes back. McIlroy admitted to feeling lethargic after shooting a 73. … Australia's Matthew Guyatt upstaged the marquee players at the Australian Masters, shooting a seven-under 65 to take a two-shot lead after the first round at Melbourne. … Scott Stallings shot an eight-under 64 at Del Monte to take a two-stroke lead over William McGirt and Kirk Triplett in the Pebble Beach Invitational. The unofficial event features PGA, LPGA, Champions and Web.com tour players.

::

Former WNBA star and Olympic gold medalist Chamique Holdsclaw was in custody in Atlanta after being accused of shooting into a woman's car after using a bat to break its windows.

Atlanta police said the incident happened Tuesday after Holdsclaw followed 29-year-old Jennifer Lacy to her car. Lacy plays for the Tulsa Shock.

No one was injured. Lacy identified the 35-year-old Holdsclaw as an ex-girlfriend; both played for the Atlanta Dream in 2009.

Holdsclaw was in custody Thursday night in Fulton County Jail. Her bond was set at $10,000 on one charge each of aggravated assault, second-degree criminal damage and reckless conduct.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|