Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsVoice Overs

Cinemark faces more lawsuits over Colorado theater shooting

October 12, 2012|By Richard Verrier
  • Lasamoa Cross, girlfriend of mass shooting victim Alexander Jonathan "A.J." Boik, receives a hug after Boik's funeral in Aurora, Colo.
Lasamoa Cross, girlfriend of mass shooting victim Alexander Jonathan… (Mark Boster / Los Angeles…)

Additional lawsuits on behalf of seven more victims of the deadly July 20 theater shooting in Aurora, Colo., have been filed against Cinemark USA.

Parents of three people killed in the tragedy filed separate federal lawsuits against the Plano, Texas-based Cinemark, alleging the nation's third largest theater circuit failed to ensure adequate safety to prevent the shooting at the Century Aurora 16. The rampage killed 12 people and injured 58.

The suits were filed on behalf of Alexander Jonathan "A.J." Boik, Micayla Medek and Matthew McQuinn, who were all killed by gunfire in the theater.

A fourth suit was filed this week by three other shooting victims, Dion Rosborough, Ryan Lumba and Tony Briscoe, who received non-fatal injuries.

Among other things, the suits allege that the theater failed to provide security personnel for the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" and that the exterior doors to the theater did not have any alarm or security system.

TIMELINE: Deadliest U.S. mass shootings

The four lawsuits contain similar allegations to those in two other complaints filed last month on behalf of two victims of the shooting who survived.

A Cinemark representative declined to comment. The company has filed a motion to dismiss the earlier cases. That request is pending.

In a letter sent last month to Aurora Mayor Steve Hogan, Cinemark Chief Executive Tim Warner said the chain had decided to refurbish and eventually reopen the Aurora theater.

"I am personally proud of the tremendous response to the tragic events of July 20th by our community, our state, and indeed our nation," Warner's letter said. "We will never forget those we have lost and the victims and their families who now struggle to recover."

ALSO:

Gunman kills 12 at 'Dark Knight' screening in Colorado

'Dark Knight Rises' Paris premiere canceled after shooting

MPAA and Cinemark theater chain respond to Aurora shooting

MORE:

INTERACTIVE: TVs highest paid starts

QUIZ: Celebrity voice overs

PHOTOS: Hollywood back lot moments

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|