An actress who starred in "Innocence of Muslims" has sued the film's producer and YouTube, charging that clips from the controversial anti-Islam movie have lead to death threats against her.
In a complaint filed Wednesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court that alleges fraud, slander and intentional infliction of emotional distress, Cindy Lee Garcia said that after scenes from "Innocence of Muslims" posted on YouTube sparked Middle East protests last week, she was subjected to "credible death threats" and was no longer permitted to provide child care for her grandchildren.
M. Cris Armenta, the lawyer representing the actress in the matter, said she would ask the judge assigned to the case to order YouTube to remove the video immediately. "This is not a 1st Amendment issue," Armenta said. "This is an invasion of privacy issue."
Garcia said in her legal action that she was tricked into working in the film. Filmmaker Sam Bacile — the name appears to be a pseudonym for Nakoula Basseley Nakoula — allegedly told Garcia that he was making a movie called "Desert Warrior" that was "an adventure film ... about ancient Egyptians" and that there would be neither "references made to religion nor was there any sexual content" of which she was aware.