A Denver man who says he ate two bags of microwaved popcorn every day for about 10 years has won a $7.2-million verdict after he developed an ailment often referred to as "popcorn lung."
It's an illness that can be traced back to the chemicals used to give popcorn a buttery flavoring without all the calories. The chemical -- an artificial flavoring called diacetyl, is no longer used in artificial flavoring and some experts see a possible link between diacetyl and Alzheimer's, according to ABC News.
After Wayne Watson developed respiratory problems in 2007, he sued the manufacturer and the store that sold it. "I probably look like a fairly healthy guy but I only have, on a good day, about 53% lung capacity," Watson told ABC News.
Wayne Watson's attorney, Ken McClain, told the Associated Press that a federal jury granted the award Wednesday against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc. after he developed his respiratory ailments. A claim against flavor developer FONA International Inc. was settled separately, the news service reported.