Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. struck a deal for Pacquiao to drop… (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles…)
Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. settled some of their differences Tuesday when the world’s top two pound-for-pound boxers struck a deal for Pacquiao to drop the defamation lawsuit he filed against Mayweather.
Pacquiao slapped Mayweather with the lawsuit in December 2009 when Mayweather accused the Filpino star of using performance-enhancing drugs.
A statement obtained by The Times and released by Mayweather Jr., his father and uncle/trainer Roger Mayweather, said the men “wish to make it clear that they never intended to claim that Manny Pacquiao has used or is using any performance-enhancing drugs.
“Nor are they aware of any evidence Manny Pacquiao has used performance-enhancing drugs. Manny Pacquiao is a great champion and no one should construe any of our prior remarks as claiming that Manny Pacquiao has used performance-enhancing drugs.”
Unbeaten Mayweather Jr. previously laced into Pacquiao’s abilities in a video posted on the Internet in which he accused Pacquiao of using “power pellets,” and his family made similar disparaging remarks while the rivals failed to make an anticipated super-fight sports fans have clamored for.
A source close to Pacquiao who was not authorized to be identified, due to a “strict confidentiality agreement,” told The Times, “Manny is happy to put this long ordeal behind him.”
The case appeared headed for some kind of resolution last week when the judge assigned to the defamation case ordered Mayweather Jr. to pay Pacquiao $114,000 in legal fees for failing to appear to answer questions for Pacquiao's attorneys at a scheduled deposition.
Pacquiao, at a Beverly Hills news conference last week to promote his Dec. 8 fight against Mexico’s Juan Manuel Marquez, seemed conciliatory toward Mayweather Jr., and said he was more optimistic than ever that the pair would finally fight in 2013.
Pacquiao later in the week said he was willing to accept just 45% of the total purse while granting other concessions to Mayweather Jr.
Mayweather Jr. has given some direction about his boxing future to Golden Boy Promotions, but the company’s chief executive, Richard Schaefer, declined to discuss those plans Tuesday.
Additionally, Pacquiao’s MP Promotions and the new boxing promotion company, The Money Team, formed by Mayweather Jr.’s former close friend, rapper 50 Cent, are also seeking to promote fights together.
When asked if these agreements indicate the pair are moving toward a fight, Pacquiao advisor Michael Koncz said, “Time will only tell.”
Mayweather Jr. hasn’t fought since winning a unanimous decision over Miguel Cotto on May 5 in Las Vegas. Mayweather Jr. then served more than two months in jail in Las Vegas for his role in a domestic violence episode against the mother of three of his children.
In Las Vegas, Lakers are rated as best bets
Angels' Mike Trout improves with each at-bat
Seahawks-Packers was great end to NFL week