Radio personality and chef Evan Kleiman closed her beloved Melrose Avenue restaurant, Angeli Caffe, last year after 27 years in business. The Hollywood trattoria opened in 1984 and was a pioneer of stripped-down Italian cuisine. It was a neighborhood fan favorite from the start, even when Kleiman's fans weren't from the neighborhood.
Now Kleiman, the host of KCRW's "Good Food," is bringing back some of her hit Angeli dishes at a pop-up this month at Tiago. She's crowd-sourcing the menu and will tally up the requests she has been receiving on Facebook and Twitter. And there are a lot of requests.
Here are some of them so far:
- Your gnocchi is a must!!!!!! Tried to make it from the cookbook but you have the magic touch.
- That roasted garlicky carrot dish.
- The balsamic chicken salad and if the season is right, panzanella.
- Roasted chicken.
- The beet gnocchi, please.
- I'm hyperventilating!! Bread, veg lasagna, beet anything!
- Suppli please oh please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Beignets with fresh rhubarb jam.
- My husband would kill for your pork chops.
- Pizza and/or gnocchi. And the burrata salad with peaches special was amazing.
- Your bread!
- Gnocchi!!!!! My partner and I DREAM of the gnocchi....
- The bread! The gnocchi! The chicken piccata! ... Don't use Twitter. I don't use it. We miss you so much!
- Scarmorza alla griglia -- with some of that wonderful bread.
- Long cooked green beans with tomato. Lasagna Angeli. Fresh corn risotto ... and torta di ciocolatto!
If you want in on the action and to make sure she considers your request, submit your dishes to her Facebook page or Twitter. (You probably don't, but if you need a refresher, the Angeli Caffe website -- with menu -- is still online.) The four-day pop-up takes place April 18 to 21 at Tiago Espresso Bar + Kitchen in Hollywood, organized by This Is Not a Pop-Up. The cost is $50 and reservations are available online at www.thisisnotapopup.com.