Citing pending litigation, Los Angeles city attorney candidate Mike Feuer on Tuesday said he won’t release a copy of his unusual “win-bonus” contract with campaign consultant John Shallman.
The Times had requested copies of both the original contract and modifications Feuer said he made after coming in first in the four-way primary last month. He has since been sued by a supporter of incumbent City Atty. Carmen Trutanich over the contract.
“Following discussions with our counsel, given the pending litigation, we aren’t releasing the contracts at this time,” Dave Jacobson, Feuer campaign spokesman, said in an email.
The original contract, which called for Shallman to be paid only if and when Feuer won the post, has generated controversy. Critics said it hid the true cost of the campaign and helped Feuer stay under the spending limit required to get $300,000 in matching taxpayer funds during the primary.