Rescuers were summoned shortly before 7 p.m. Wednesday to a steam vent between the Kilauea Visitor Center and the Volcano House hotel, not far from the park’s main entrance.
The 15-year-old boy from San Rafael, who was not identified, fell into the crack while trying to leap over the protective railing that’s intended to keep visitors away from the hole.
Firefighters and a member of the park’s search and rescue team rappelled into the deep, chimney-like crevice to reach the boy, who had landed on a narrow ledge. He suffered only minor bumps and abrasions. The family refused medical treatment.