Advertisement

Torrance businessman injured in Boston Marathon explosion

April 16, 2013|By Samantha Schaefer and Matt Pearce

A Torrance businessman was watching his daughter complete her first Boston Marathon when he was wounded in the explosions that killed 3 and injured 176.

John Odom was 20 feet from the first blast, brother-in-law Doug Nicol told the Torrance Daily Breeze.

Nicol texted his sister Monday as soon as he saw news reports about the explosion.

FULL COVERAGE: Boston Marathon attack

"John's lost a lot of blood, pray for John, he needs it now," she replied.

Odom, in his 60s, is chairman of the board at Murray Co., a mechanical and underground piping contractor in Rancho Dominguez, and was weeks away from retirement, Nicol told The Breeze.

"John is the nicest guy you'll ever meet. ... He puts everything in front of himself, there isn't anything he wouldn't do for anybody," Nicol said.

UCLA Athletics tweeted a message of support to Odom’s family.

Both Nicole Reis and her husband, Matt Reis, a New England Revolution goalkeeper formerly with the Los Angeles Galaxy, are former UCLA athletes. She is Odom's daughter.

VIDEO: Boston marathon explosion

“Matt Reis’ family was affected, and he’s part of our family, so essentially someone in our Revolution family’s been affected. Everyone’s just there for Matt – anything he needs, he knows that we’re there and I hope the whole community can gather around him and other people that have been affected,” A.J. Soares, a defender with the New England Revolution, said in a video the team released after the explosion

At least two other Californians, including a Redondo Beach man and a boy from Martinez, were also wounded in the blasts. 

Darrel Folkert, 42, of Redondo Beach, was standing directly in front of the second blast as his wife was in the closing stretch of her seventh Boston Marathon. He is expected to return to Los Angeles on Tuesday night, his wife, Jac Bost, 42, told the Times.

"I was less than a quarter mile away," she said.

PHOTOS: Bombings splashed across nation's front pages

Bost had heard a boom, and organizers stopped her before the finish line. When word trickled back that there had been an explosion, the runners immediately tried to call loved ones, but found their phones weren't working.

“We’re super grateful and super blessed and just kind of in shock, really," she said.

Katherine Hern, of Martinez in Northern California, posted on Facebook on Monday night that her son Aaron was in intensive care with multiple cuts, including a worrisome one on his left thigh that may keep him in the hospital for surgeries over the next seven to 10 days. His father said most of the blast hit him on the left side of his body.

"Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers," Katherine Hern wrote. "Aaron is in the ICU but stable."

Family friends told KTVU he was running to meet his mother after she'd finished when he was hit by one of the bombs.

CNN reported Aaron's age as 11; KTVU-TV reported it as 12. KTVU said the boy was at the race with his younger sister and father at the race, who were unhurt.

"They're letting him sleep today," the boy's father, Alan Hern, told CNN on Tuesday. Aaron has been sedated but woke momentarily when hospital staff moved him.

ALSO:

District sends counselors to Palmdale school after teen suicide

Transient charged in fatal arson attack at Long Beach 7-Eleven

Los Angeles approves incentives for developers of homeless housing

samantha.schaefer@latimes.com

matt.pearce@latimes.com 

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|