Advertisement
 

Officials: Boston Marathon bombing suspect died at hospital

April 19, 2013|By Molly Hennessy-Fiske and Laura J. Nelson
  • Police surround an apartment building in Watertown, Mass., while looking for a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings.
Police surround an apartment building in Watertown, Mass., while looking… (Charles Krupa / Associated…)

WATERTOWN, Mass. -- The first suspect in the Boston marathon bombings, who was shot in a confrontation with police early Friday, was in cardiac arrest by the time he reached Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, officials said.

Doctors labored to save him without success, the hospital said in a news briefing. He had multiple gunshot wounds and what appeared to be blast injuries, said Dr. Richard Wolfe, chief of emergency medicine.

The second suspect in Monday's marathon bombings, which left three dead and more than 170 injured, remained at large.

FULL COVERAGE: Boston Marathon attack

Wolfe said two staff members heard the gunshots and warned the hospital, which braced for another "mass casualty event," he said.

At 1:10 a.m. EDT, he said, Boston police notified the the hospital that they had a "patient with multiple traumatic injuries" en route. 

Ten minutes later, the patient arrived in cardiac arrest, Wolfe said. Doctors tried "a number of procedures" for 15 minutes before he was pronounced dead at 1:35 a.m.

He would not say whether the man said anything before he died or whether he was the same man discussed by police at an earlier briefing Friday.

Dr. Kevin Tabb, president and chief executive of the hospital, said the patient "was brought in under police guard" to the facility, which is still treating a dozen victims of the marathon explosions, one of them in the ICU.

Authorities said the incident began about 10:30 p.m. Thursday when an MIT police officer was shot to death on campus after responding to a disturbance. As authorities searched for the shooter, an SUV was carjacked nearby. Police chased it to Watertown, a Boston suburb. 

Officials said that the suspects opened fire and tossed explosives at pursuing officers. 

PHOTOS: Boston bombing suspects

Dr. David Schoenfeld said he was watching news of the MIT shootings at home in Watertown about 12:45 a.m. Friday "when I started hearing the gunshots and explosions. I realized something was really wrong."

 He called Beth Israel, drove in and "arrived before the patient."

"Given what had happened at MIT and all the sirens, I felt strongly that this was related to what happened earlier in the week," he said, referring to the marathon explosions.

He declined to say whether he treated the patient, saying only that it was clear who the patient was because "there was a large police presence when the patient arrived."

“You give the best care you can to every patient that comes to you,  regardless what may or may not be,” Schoenfeld said. “You don’t know what happened out there and you don’t know who they are. You don’t know what the circumstances are, whether they are a suspect, a police officer or an innocent.”

PHOTOS: Explosions at Boston Marathon

The second suspect is still on the loose, officials say, and is considered armed and dangerous. In FBI photographs, the suspect is shown wearing a backward white baseball cap and a gray hooded sweatshirt. 

Officials have essentially shut down Boston while they search. Gov. Deval Patrick suspended all mass transit service, including trains, ferries, buses and commuter rail.

Beth Israel also said it accepted 24 victims from Monday’s bombing. Half have been released. One remains in critical condition.

ALSO:

Boston bombing: 1 suspect dead, the other at large

Boston bombing: Bad journalism fuels terrorism hysteria

Update: Videos point to 2 suspects in Boston Marathon bombing

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|