Advertisement

Governor says mass transit resuming in Boston

April 19, 2013|By Los Angeles Times Staff
  • A Police SWAT team sniper keeps watch as the team makes house to house searches in Watertown, Massachusetts.
A Police SWAT team sniper keeps watch as the team makes house to house searches… (CJ GUNTHER / EPA )

Massachusetts officials lifted a stay-at-home order that had closed the bustling city of Boston and its environs. The mass transit system — the “T” — that had been idled since early Friday will go back to a normal schedule, officials announced.

Police and elected officials indicated that the search was going on for the second of two suspects in Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings. A first suspect, the elder of two brothers, died Friday after a firefight with law enforcement officers in Watertown. A house-to-house search apparently turned up no sign of the second suspect.

A state police official said he believed that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was still in Massachusetts.

“Boston, we’ve stood tall; we’ll never stand down,” said Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|