Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsPau Gasol

Sports on hold during search for Boston Marathon bombing suspect

April 19, 2013|By David Wharton
  • Members of a SWAT team search for 19-year-old bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in Watertown, Mass.
Members of a SWAT team search for 19-year-old bombing suspect Dzhokhar… (Mario Tama / Getty Images )

As police put Boston and its surrounding suburbs on lockdown while searching for a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, sporting events throughout the area were put on hold.

The Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins canceled their morning skates and there was no word about the status of their game scheduled at TD Garden on Friday night. Boston players had been looking forward to following up an emotional home game earlier this week.

"That's something that we've all talked about," alternate captain Patrice Bergeron said on the Bruins' website.

The team also announced that playoff ticket sales, scheduled to begin Friday morning, had been postponed until Monday. The New England Patriots called off a pre-draft news conference and numerous high schools in the area postponed games.

On Friday morning, Boston residents were asked to stay at home following a late-night shootout that left one suspect and a law enforcement officer dead.

With the manhunt stretching toward afternoon on the East Coast, there was no news on the status of the Red Sox-Kansas City Royals game scheduled at Fenway Park.

ALSO:

Kobe Bryant strikes again, messages Pau Gasol during game

Brittney Griner acknowledges she's gay, says 'be who you are'

Tim Tebow was sabotaged last season, quarterbacks coach suggests

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|