Scott Sterling, the 32-year-old son of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, died as a result of a pulmonary embolism and "narcotic medication intake" in what Los Angeles County coroner's officials classified as an accidental death, authorities said Monday.
Sterling was found dead in his apartment on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu on New Year's night. Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials quickly determined his death did not involve foul play but appeared to involve some type of drug overdose.
The report showed that Sterling's diabetes and oxycodone were also contributing factors.
The report suggests that Sterling injected an "oral narcotic medication" that was intended to be taken orally.
Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said the injection of medication may have led to blockages in his blood system that led to his death.
The Sterling family released a statement shortly after Scott Sterling's death saying he suffered from diabetes, but they did not elaborate on how it might have played into his death.