Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsBudget

JPL to save $400,000 by canceling this year's open house

April 23, 2013|By Tiffany Kelly and Jason Wells
  • Children enjoyed having a small rover crawl over them during the JPL open house last year in La Canada Flintridge.
Children enjoyed having a small rover crawl over them during the JPL open… (Raul Roa / Times Community…)

Bracing for “significant impacts” to funding for public outreach programs next year, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory decided to cancel its hugely popular open house in June. The cost savings? Roughly $400,000 for the two-day event.

The figure is a comparatively slim sum for an agency that deals with budgets into the billions, but comes as NASA faces pressure to cut costs where it can amid the across-the-board federal spending reductions known as sequestration.

It was that downward pressure that JPL cited when it announced last week that the open house scheduled for June 8 and 9 would be canceled to save money. At the time, the cost to put on the event was not available.

But on Monday, JPL spokeswoman Veronica McGregor said the budget to put on the open house -- which attracts close to 40,000 people each year -- is roughly $400,000, including for security, portable toilets, presentations and other items brought to the La Cañada Flintridge campus.

It also covers pay for hourly employees who educate the public on the space agency’s missions.

About two-thirds of the scientists and engineers who work during open house are hourly employees, McGregor said.

Salaried employees volunteer their time, she added.

Between 700 and 1,000 employees work the event, said McGregor, and typically because they enjoy it.

“No one is told they have to work,” she said.

All NASA centers are currently reviewing public outreach efforts to deal with the budget pressures of sequestration. And if a more stable federal budget materializes, McGregor said, JPL may still bring back the open house.

ALSO:

Man lost for a week in Northern California survived on pine nuts

LAX officials say contractor mistakenly triggered emergency alert

L.A. probes 'patient dumping' claims against Nevada mental hospital

-- Tiffany Kelly and Jason Wells

tiffany.kelly@latimes.com

jason.wells@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|