Advertisement

Wife of Boston bombing suspect expresses sorrow and shock

April 23, 2013|By Seema Mehta

The wife of suspected Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev released a statement through attorneys expressing her sadness for the victims of last week’s explosion and her "absolute shock" upon learning of her husband’s and brother-in-law’s alleged involvement.

Katherine Russell is cooperating with law enforcement, according to the statement by the Providence, R.I., law firm Deluca + Weizenbaum.

"The injuries and loss of life -- to people who came to celebrate a race and a holiday -- has caused profound distress and sorrow to Katie and her family," the statement said. "… As a mother, a sister, a daughter, a wife, Katie deeply mourns the pain and loss to innocent victims -- students, law enforcement, families and our community. In the aftermath of this tragedy, she, her daughter and her family are trying to come to terms with these events."

FULL COVERAGE: Boston Marathon attack

The status of Russell's and Tsarnaev’s relationship at the time of the bombing is unclear. The couple married in June 2010, the statement said.

"Since then, she has been living in Cambridge, raising her child and working long hours, caring for people in their homes who are unable to care for themselves," the statement said.

Russell grew up in Rhode Island and is leaning on her parents, sisters and extended family in the area.

"She is fortunate to have the support of her loving family now, as they, too, struggle to come to terms with these events and the deep sorrow we all feel following the events of last week," the statement said.

Tsarnaev, 26, was declared dead at a Boston hospital early Friday after a shootout with police. His brother and alleged co-conspirator, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, remains hospitalized after being captured by police Friday. He was charged Monday with using a weapon of mass destruction, and faces the death penalty if convicted in federal court.

PHOTOS: Boston bombing suspects

ALSO:

Boston suspect tells FBI he and brother acted alone

'He is now at peace,' say parents of youngest bombing victim

Bombing suspect bought reloadable mortar-shell fireworks kits

seema.mehta@latimes.com

Twitter:@LATSeema

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|