Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

SWAT standoff with gunman in South Park ends quietly

August 03, 2013|By Joel Rubin

A gunman who allegedly opened fire on LAPD officers Saturday morning was taken into custody after barricading himself inside a house in South L.A., police reported.

Teams from the Los Angeles Police Department's SWAT unit and bomb squad were summoned to the home in the 100 block of West 57th Street in the South Park neighborhood, where the man had retreated after trading gunfire with an officer, said Officer Norma Eisenman.

Officers had responded to an initial call of a man with a gun near 57th and Main streets about 10:30 a.m., Eisenman said. The suspect, armed with a handgun, shot at the officers as they approached before disappearing inside the house, according to police. One of the officers returned fire, but did not strike the man.

By 1:30 p.m. the suspect had been taken into custody without incident, Eisenman said. Details of the capture were not available. The suspect's name was not released.

ALSO:

O.C. deputy charged with pepper spraying teen's pizza

Redondo Beach moves forward with waterfront redevelopment

Former L.A. County GOP official allegedly had explicit chats with girl

Twitter: @joelrubin

joel.rubin@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|