Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

L.A. Now Live: Latest on Venice boardwalk deadly hit-and-run

August 05, 2013

A man who turned himself into police following a deadly hit-and-run rampage on the Venice boardwalk remained behind bars Monday morning on suspicion of murder.

Join us at 9 a.m. when we talk with Times reporter Samantha Schaefer about the latest in the dramatic hit-and-run crash on the Venice boardwalk that left one woman dead and 11 others injured over the weekend.

Nathan Campbell, 38, abandoned his blue sedan on a nearby street and walked into a police station to turn himself in about an hour after the incident Saturday that left one dead and many injured, police said.

Campbell, a Colorado native who sources said was possibly living in his car, is being held in lieu of $1-million bail. Police said Campbell asked how many people had been injured in the incident.

Video taken from a restaurant on narrow Dudley Avenue shows a man believed to be Campbell pacing near a sedan, then getting into the car and driving suddenly forward, out of camera range. Another video shows the moments that followed: a sedan slamming into unsuspecting pedestrians and ramming a canopy before turning left and speeding down Ocean Front Walk at an hour when many were simply waiting to watch the setting sun.

Officials said the driver entered Ocean Front Walk by driving the car onto a sidewalk and finding enough space to maneuver past five narrow concrete pylons, a barrier meant to block cars.

Los Angeles City Councilman Mike Bonin, whose district includes Venice, agreed that additional barriers were needed. He cautioned that they would have to be installed so that people with disabilities and emergency vehicles could get onto the boardwalk. He also said the issue was complicated because there are parking areas on the beach that can only be reached by driving over the boardwalk at Rose Avenue.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|