MEXICO CITY -- Mexico's foreign minister said Tuesday that his government would try to reverse an appeals court ruling that led to the release of a reputed drug kingpin imprisoned for the 1985 slaying of a U.S. narcotics agent.
“The decision, in our opinion, wasn’t respectful of the legal framework,” Foreign Minister Jose Antonio Meade told reporters Tuesday, referring to the appeals ruling that led to last week’s release of alleged drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero. “We will have to find the way to reverse it.”
Caro Quintero, who is alleged to be a founder of the once-powerful Guadalajara drug cartel, walked out of a prison in the state of Jalisco on Friday after serving 28 years of a 40-year sentence for the kidnapping, torture and murder of Drug Enforcement Administration agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena.
In the wake of the high-profile slaying, U.S.-Mexico relations were severely strained. And U.S. officials were again livid last week, when they learned the surprising news of the ruling from a regional Mexican appeals tribunal that freed Caro Quintero on a technicality.