YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Rioting follows soccer verdict in Port Said, Egypt

At least 30 people, including two police officers, are killed as mobs take to the streets of Port Said after 21 soccer fans are sentenced to death for a deadly stadium riot last year.

January 26, 2013|By Jeffrey Fleishman and Reem Abdellatif, Los Angeles Times
  • Relatives and supporters react to the death sentences given 21 soccer fans for a Port Said stadium riot in Feburary that left 74 dead.
Relatives and supporters react to the death sentences given 21 soccer fans… (Mohammed Nouhan / Shorouk…)

CAIRO — Deadly clashes and an attempted jailbreak erupted in the Egyptian city of Port Said after 21 soccer fans were sentenced to death for killing rivals in a riot last year that underlined the nation's wider unrest and deepening political schisms.

At least 30 people were reported killed Saturday, including two police officers. Buildings burned and mobs ran through the streets hoisting the wounded and chanting against the government. Concern intensified that protesters would take up weapons smuggled in from Libya and Sudan.

The violence, which followed Friday's deadly riots around the country against the Islamist-led government, revealed how frayed and frantic Egypt has become two years after the toppling of Hosni Mubarak. The economy is faltering amid growing disdain for President Mohamed Morsi and his increasingly isolated party linked to the Muslim Brotherhood.

A succession of crises has overwhelmed Egypt's transition toward democracy and made evident that Islamist political forces have failed to provide a unifying vision that encapsulates the hopes of a revolution that ended 30 years of corrupt rule. Instead, firebombs flare at barricades, riot police hunker, and mothers trail the coffins of fallen sons.

Gunshots and tear gas volleys rang out in Port Said between security forces and supporters of the Masry soccer club after the death sentences were read. Families attempted to storm the jail where their relatives and former police officials were imprisoned on charges of killing 74 people in the stadium melee last year.

Port Said has become a dangerous subplot to Egypt's political turmoil. Many residents believe security forces instigated the soccer riot. The bloodshed Saturday indicated that police — the symbol of Mubarak's repression — remained deeply reviled and in disarray. The army deployed troops to the city to protect the prison and other government buildings from looting and arson.

"What's happening in Port Said today makes me question right from wrong," said activist Heba Mahfouz, 23. "We never really had an appreciation for law enforcement. There is an emotional line that has been broken between Egyptians. We are now killing each other."

Clashes also broke out in Cairo, where men and boys hurled Molotov cocktails and tried to overrun the upper house of the parliament. Soldiers guarded the streets in Suez, where the fire department was set alight and prisoners escaped from a police station after it was attacked by mobs. At least seven people, including two police officers, were killed in Suez on Friday.

Morsi has not addressed the country since the nationwide violence began late Thursday. He tweeted on Friday that "state agencies will not hesitate to prosecute offenders and bring them to justice."

His National Defense Council released a statement Saturday expressing "its sorrow and condolences for what has happened and those who died across the country."

Information Minister Salah Abdel-Maksoud said the military, which ruled the country for more than 18 months before Morsi took office in June, would not interfere in political affairs. He added, however, that the defense council "holds the right to declare a state of emergency and a curfew, if needed."

Restiveness is spreading, especially among young men in the industrial cities along the Suez Canal: Ismailia, Port Said and Suez. These towns have seethed for years, and their protesters have often been more confrontational than those in Cairo. Jobs have disappeared, suspicion is high, and men are quick to shield their faces in rags and charge police.

Morsi has been criticized for accumulating power and sidestepping the courts in what the opposition calls the "Brotherization" of the country to propel an Islamist agenda. This was epitomized by the Islamist-backed constitution that passed in December and has created concern among rights groups that it threatens social justice.

In a statement Saturday, a coalition of opposition parties called for amending the "disfigured" constitution and for a "national salvation government" to subject the "Muslim Brotherhood to the rule of law after having been a key player in running the affairs of the country without any legal justification."

The tumult comes as Morsi is attempting to allay international concern about his handling of the country. Egypt desperately needs foreign investments and grants to ease public debt and revive the economy. Cairo is awaiting a $4.8-billion loan from the International Monetary Fund. The deepening unrest has not inspired confidence.

The verdict in the soccer riot case was anticipated to be a spark for bloodshed.

The accused Masry fans were charged in the deaths of 74 fans of Cairo's Ahly soccer club during a match in Port Said in February. Masry supporters went on a rampage with knives and pipes, trapping Ahly fans in a locked stadium. Many were trampled to death, and some died after tumbling from the stadium's balconies. More than 1,000 people were injured.

Los Angeles Times Articles