Advertisement

Scottie Pippen faces $4-million lawsuit that says he attacked fan

July 12, 2013|By Chuck Schilken
  • Six-time NBA champion Scottie Pippen at a Knicks game in New York.
Six-time NBA champion Scottie Pippen at a Knicks game in New York. (Jim McIsaac / Getty Images )

Scottie Pippen is being sued for $4 million by a 49-year-old man who said he was physically attacked by the NBA Hall of Famer at a Malibu restaurant last month.

The suit alleges that Camran Shafighi asked Pippen for a photograph for his girlfriend's 12-year-old son but instead got a “brutal and unjustified physical attack” that included being spit on in the face, shoved and punched so hard he ended up on the ground and later in the hospital with a head injury.

“At no time did or could Mr. Shafighi physically provoke or fight back, as he was knocked unconscious with the first blow,” the lawsuit said.

Shafighi was treated for the head injury then released from the hospital, officials said.

Pippen voluntarily came to the local sheriff's station to be questioned and was cooperative in an investigation that is ongoing, officials said. The six-time NBA champion with the Chicago Bulls was not arrested and has not been charged in the matter.

Investigators have said that Shafighi had been taking pictures of Pippen inside and outside of the restaurant before an argument that led to violence broke out. Several witnesses described Shafighi as intoxicated, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

ALSO:

Patriots defensive back Alfonzo Dennard arrested again

Female cyclists start a petition to be included in Tour de France

Q&A: Kobe Bryant on rehab, Dwight Howard and the Lakers' future

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|