Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsTrade

Ned Colletti on possible big trade: 'I don't see it happening'

July 25, 2013|By Lance Pugmire
  • Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti says L.A. is unlikely to make any major trades to alter the team's roster.
Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti says L.A. is unlikely to make any major… (Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles…)

Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti said Thursday as the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline approaches that he isn’t optimistic his team will make a late-season splash similar to the acquisitions of Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett last year.

“I don’t see it happening, there’s not that type of group of players out there,” Colletti said. “It’s a really thin market, more than in past years.”

Colletti said while he remains interested in bullpen help, teams vying for the second wild card in both leagues have narrowed the list of those looking to deal.

“Only four or five teams are actually looking to move guys,” Colletti said. “Teams that are six to eight games out in September can make it, so that adds another level of difficulty.”

Colletti has already acquired pitcher Ricky Nolasco, and then saw Texas probably overspend in prospects to obtain pitcher Matt Garza.

Pitchers Jake Peavy of the last-place Chicago White Sox and Ervin Santana are on the market, but Peavy is owed $24 million, and the traditional seller Kansas City Royals might be reluctant to part with an ace with an elusive .500 season in reach.

“We’ll be looking aggressively, but you need the other half,” Colletti said, adding he’s also interested in protecting the Dodgers’ top minor leaguers.

Another possibility is an August deal. The team has been productive in acquiring players who clear waivers, including last year’s crop from Boston, and pitcher Greg Maddux and infielders Ronnie Belliard and Marlon Anderson in years before that.

“You never know what’s going to happen,” Colletti said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|