YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Paris Jackson's family requests privacy after apparent suicide try

June 06, 2013|By Andrew Blankstein and Jeff Gottlieb

Paris Jackson has been the subject of intense media attention since her apparent suicide attempt early Wednesday morning at her Calabasas home, and the Jackson family is urging the public to respect their privacy.

Paris' uncles Jackie, Marlon and Tito released a statement saying Michael Jackson's daughter was recovering.

“She is safe and doing fine,” they said. “We truly appreciate you respecting our family’s privacy at this time.”

The Jackson family attempt also asked the media to respect boundaries.

"Being a sensitive 15-year-old is difficult no matter who you are. It is especially difficult when you lose the person closest to you. Paris is physically fine and is getting appropriate medical attention. Please respect her privacy and the family's privacy," attorney Perry R. Sanders Jr. said in the statement Wednesday.

Sources said Paris was rushed to a hospital early Wednesday morning after an apparent suicide attempt at the family's Calabasas home.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and Fire Department would say only that they responded to a "medical emergency" on the block where the Jackson family lives in Calabasas. The county Fire Department described the call as a "possible overdose" and said a patient was taken to a hospital.

One source who spoke on the condition of anonymity told The Times that the patient was Michael Jackson's daughter, Paris.

Debbie Rowe, Jackson's former wife and Paris' mother, told "Entertainment Tonight" that Paris tried to commit suicide.

The night before the apparent suicide attempt, Paris tweeted: "yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away now it looks as though they're here to stay."

Paris and her family and AEG are locked in a legal battle over Jackson's death. Paris is a possible witness in the civil trial.

The suit -- filed by Katherine Jackson, Michael Joseph Jackson Jr., Prince Michael Jackson II and Paris Jackson -- alleges that AEG negligently hired and supervised Dr. Conrad Murray, who, in an attempt to help the singer sleep, gave him a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol.

Jackson died in 2009, two weeks before his "This Is It" tour was scheduled to begin in London. Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2011. 


Jefferson Airplane drummer Joey Covington killed in car crash

Funeral services Sunday for two sisters killed in fiery O.C. crash

AEG exec: 'You needed a scorecard' to track Jackson's entourage

Los Angeles Times Articles