YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

One shot and wounded at San Antonio Army base

June 10, 2013|By Molly Hennessy-Fiske

HOUSTON -- A gunman who fired shots at the Army's Joint Base San Antonio-Ft. Sam Houston on Monday afternoon, wounding one person, has been taken into custody, officials said.

The post was locked down shortly after 2:50 p.m. Central Time when the shooting began at the base's Army Medical Department Center and School headquarters, spokesman Brent Boller told the Los Angeles Times.

Thousands of students and faculty were in the building at the time, Boller said, and at least one person — an unidentified woman — was hospitalized.

“We've got one patient,” Dewey Mitchell, a spokesman for the San Antonio Military Medical Center, told The Times, adding that the patient was stable.

Base officials and San Antonio police responded, the suspect was taken into custody and the lockdown was lifted by 3:45 p.m., Boller said.

“He either turned himself in or was captured,” Boller said.

According to a statement on the base's Facebook page, “The suspect has turned himself in to authorities.” The Houston Chronicle reported that a base official said the suspected gunman, a retired Army sergeant major, was in the Army Medical Department Center and School headquarters when the shooting started, and later turned himself in. The official told the Chronicle he had no idea why the gunman began shooting.

Boller said he did not have information about the suspect's identity, whether the man targeted the victim or why he started shooting. He said it was not clear whether the shooter was known to people in the building or if he had ever been based there.

Boller said officials were due to be briefed by a commander about the shooting soon.


Supreme Court orders new hearing for California raisin farmers

Judge rejects delay in Zimmerman's trial in Trayvon Martin case

Man dies, four Boy Scouts rescued along Arizona-Nevada border

Twitter: @mollyhf

Los Angeles Times Articles