Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsNews

Paroled gang member accused of shooting Fullerton officer

Marcos Allen Bush, 29, and a companion are being held in the attack, which left the officer hospitalized. Bush was recently acquitted of attempted murder and carjacking.

March 19, 2013|By Corina Knoll, Los Angeles Times

A 29-year-old paroled gang member who was acquitted two weeks ago on charges of attempted murder and carjacking is now accused of shooting a Fullerton police officer multiple times at close range.

After being pulled over in a routine traffic stop early Sunday, Marcos Allen Bush pulled out a gun and shot the officer at point-blank range in the chest, according to the Orange County district attorney's office.

Bush is accused of firing at the officer several more times, hitting him twice in the arm and again in the leg, before speeding from the scene with an unidentified passenger.

The officer, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, fired two rounds at the vehicle as it sped away, prosecutors said. It was not known if he struck the vehicle. The officer was hospitalized and is recovering from his injuries.

Later Sunday, as Fullerton and Anaheim police attempted to arrest Bush at an Anaheim apartment, he ran from officers, dropping a firearm and bullets, authorities said. He was later apprehended.

That same day, California Highway Patrol officers said they located the vehicle Bush had been driving in Riverside County. Sjanee Duhart, 27, was arrested and is accused of attempting to get rid of the vehicle in an effort to help Bush evade the law.

Bush was charged with one felony count each of attempted murder, shooting from a motor vehicle, assault with a semiautomatic firearm on a peace officer, possession of a firearm by a felon and street terrorism.

In addition, he faces three felony counts of shooting at a residence and sentencing enhancements and allegations for criminal street gang activity, the personal discharge of a firearm causing great bodily injury and the personal use of a firearm causing great bodily injury.

If convicted, Bush faces a minimum sentence of 60 years to life in prison. He is being held on $1-million bail. He is on parole for assault with a deadly weapon, criminal threats and domestic violence. Bush is accused of being a documented member of an Anaheim gang, prosecutors said.

In 2010, Bush was accused of firing a gun at a man, demanding his money, then striking him on the head and arm with a metal pipe before stealing his car.

Bush was found not guilty earlier this month in the attempted murder and carjacking case.

corina.knoll@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|