Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsPolice

Beverly Center reopened after evacuation; no bomb found

March 24, 2013|By Maeve Reston
  • A man identified by law enforcement as the owner of a car that sparked the evacuation sits in an LAPD cruiser outside the Beverly Center.
A man identified by law enforcement as the owner of a car that sparked the… (Jay L. Clendenin, Los Angeles…)

The Beverly Center has reopened after it was evacuated Sunday afternoon when a shopper alerted police that his car parked in the shopping center’s multi-level garage, as well as a briefcase inside the vehicle, had been moved.

Police received the call about 12:30 p.m., and the LAPD bomb squad was dispatched to the scene, police said. About 1,300 shoppers and employees in the enormous Westside shopping center were evacuated.

Police located the car and used a remote-control robot to remove the briefcase, which was later detonated, police said. No evidence of an explosive device was found.

The caller is not considered a suspect, police said.

People were allowed to reenter the parking garage and shopping center about 5 p.m., police said.

ALSO:

Hiker killed at Eaton Canyon was 17-year-old girl

Pain doctor's office raided in prescription drug abuse probe

Bauhaus rocker Peter Murphy denies he was drunk when arrested

maeve.reston@latimes.com
Twitter: @maevereston 

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|